Seiten

Shall I stop selling stuff online?

Why do I ask that? Its simple. I am doing this for a long time now and sales are going down, down, down. Nobody buys anything from the miniatures I offer. Corona did not start it but it made the situation worst.

And if a sale happens I can only sell for ridicoulus low prices. Yes, I need the money and I have too much of the stuff. But do I have to sell it super-cheap? Below the price for the metal? Old rare mithril minis for example? Don't feel like that anymore.

NOT leaving: EM4 painted heroes. Now forever prowling the steppes of Retrosia.

I see myself doing the following: Sell minis for 2.50 Euros per piece that are worth 5 and then, after a while, buy some other stuff that has (of course!) the full price tag on it. That's like splitting my money into two parts and then throw one half out of the window. 

Whenever I look at a piece in the boxes I have for the sales stuff, I see opportunities. I see how I could paint that piece and what I can use it for. And I see another one: Being in the state of simply having more than enough hobby stuff. And absolutely no reason to spend a single Euro, Dollar, Pound or Banana on miniatures 'n stuff for years or maybe a complete decade...

Still running well?

What I can't understand is : why do I hear in the news how great things are going for Ebay? And yes, also during the Corona crisis, a time when a lot of people are having panic and some have no or low income. I use the plattform now for 16-18 years or longer (must dig out my first account to find the exact date) and I can't see a growth or creative changes. And where are the really good sales that I had when the plattform was new? And cheaper by the way.

Or a redesign? When I am in my account and klick on an entry in the menu, every subpage looks completely different. It looks like they tried to redesign parts of it some years ago, switched the plan several times and then forgot about it. In fact, it looks the masterpiece of an webdesigner who has no clue what he/she is doing or someone had an accident and was the only one who had the password or the plan.

When I see a website that has 'glitches' not fixed for a long time and things look 'un-professional' for years, especially from a company that has the money to fix it and that is one of the frontrunners on the web, my alarm goes off. Loud.

A billion dollar company that can't get their website ready? A standstill is normally a sign for the beginning of the end.

Ah, found just out that they ended support for the infamous 'Turbo Lister' software this July. That was fast. The software was nearly braindead for about 15 years or so. But today - month later - I can still find the help sites for that discontinued tool on the ebay website...

Of course it is not easy (without great technical effort) to see what's going on on the site. But think of this : I hear nobody saying anymore that he or she bought or found something on Ebay. Never. It's really true : I haven't heard that for several years now! And there was a time when you would have heard people talk about that very often.

A bubble? The history of the web is full of once invincible but now dead dinosaurs.


No comments:

Post a Comment