Seiten

The knights who made the new beginning

And so it begins. I wanted to organize all the existing fantasy figures. Seperated into the good, the bad and the ones in between. Sorted by 'species' or 'race', nation, armies and units.

A handful of knights on horseback made the start. A friend had given them to me because they had been lying around for ages and he couldn't get up to paint them. For these guys I finally had to decide which color they should get. At first it was difficult for me not to drybrush the guys with silver color. Then I simply took the risk and decided that every knight had to get his own main color (yellow, red, green, etc.), which was to become part of his coat of arms and that of his soldiers. So these knights became the starting point for an organization scheme. I decided that these knights are the rulers of earldoms and leaders of the human army.

The weapons are not original and the decals are from Games Workshop.  I am using what's lying around.

The Miniatures are very old and from Essex Miniatures (Late Medieval Period). Just took a look at the series and found they are still available. I think if I am going to add minis, I buy there. I like that style.

Fantasy invites you to fantasize. You sit, glue and paint, your head goes empty... and names, places and these things come to your mind. I named the following earldoms or hometowns for my knights:

  • Blue : Bluewater
  • Light Blue : Isenstein (Isen = old german for iron = Ironstone)
  • Gray : Blyburg (= Bleiberg = Lead Mountain)
  • Green : Greenwood
  • Yellow : Löwenstein (=Lionstone)
  • Red : Zornburg (Zorn = rage. A city located near to a volcano.)

And I can tell you, once the head is clear, and you can create new things, the fun comes back. Feels a bit like in the past when the genre was new: An "unknown country" that had to be discovered. A form of fascination that is coming back now. 

Now these earldoms have to be located somewhere on a map. And soldiers have to be attached to these Warlords.


No comments:

Post a Comment