Seiten

Self made lances for my Runestone Warriors

The next unit are barbarian warriors from RAFM. They will belong to the army of Runestone which is part of Thule, the land in the north (who would have guessed that?).



I bougth the figures a few years ago and I was curious to find out how old they really are and whether they are still in production. First I looked into old RAFM catalogues and found them in 1989:


The barbarians in the RAFM catalogue of 1989, page 15. A time when miniature companys still had PRINTED catalogues!

As you can see I took no. 3821 and changed it into a lancer. The canadian company RAFM by the way ist still around and so are the barbarians that now have a new label: 'The Norse SAGA'. RAFM by the way offers a lot of interesting miniatures. I will come back to this.

 

The Lances in 10 minutes

Sometimes I feel a sense of stupidity. I have miniatures here that once were sold without weapons and others where the weapons simply disappeared somehow over the years. Or other weapons are needed like shown above. Magically I have a good amout of axes and swords in my bits & pieces box but nearly no lances and spears.

So on one of the last Crisis conventions I ran around like a headless chicken looking for packs of lances. The only ones I found were ridiculously thin pieces made of tin that I bougth although I thought they were way too expensive. 

A failure. They were completely crap because they bent with the slightest touch and became ugly and useless before I even could attach them to the figures. Meanwhile they have gone the way of all flesh : into the melting pot again.

Then, when I finally painted the miniatures, it suddenly was clear that I can make lances by myself: small steel wire rods (diameter ca. 1-1.5 mm) from the garden department of a hardware store (TOOM), clipped to length and made pointed at one end with my little Proxxon machine (a small grinding and drilling machine).

The whole process took barely 10 minutes and this homemade lances don't bend easily and the complete amount below cost only a few cents.


Note to myself: First think about doing it yourself before buying anything.

Oh well, of course I had these 'professional' made metal lances here that came up some years ago. We all thougth they were a great idea. So I once bought a package and after a while got rid of them again. They were spiky like needles! Whenever I reached out for a miniature that was holding a lance I stabbed my hand and very often started bleeding. That was anoying and they had to go. Realism is ok, but that was to much. My home made lances are not that dangerous



No comments:

Post a Comment